Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My cat is 2 years old and I started her on Prozac about 2…

My cat is 2...

My cat is 2 years old and I started her on Prozac about 2 weeks ago because she is so anxious, hides when people come over, jumps at the slightest sounds etc. She got constipated so for about the last week I've had her on Miralax 1/8 tsp 2x's per day about the last 4-5 days. Now she poops about once ever 2 days and can go 24 hrs before peeing. She hasn't been as interested in her dry food so she may be drinking less water but going that long without peeing has concerned me a bit. I don't want any problems with kidneys etc. I called my vet and she was going to have her come in for an enema but then she pooped so I guess that has just really slowed down, but the peeing is concerning me more.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

I don't think so. Otherwise she acts normal, only gets a little cranky when I can tell she finally went into the box and wasn't as successful as she'd hoped. When she does pee, it seems to come out all at once instead of being in the box several times a day which she used to do before she started on any of this medication.

1/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is she receiving any canned food in addition to the kibble you've mentioned?

Is she on any supplemental fluids to help with constipation at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3 oz of soft food a day. And she is eating the kibble, maybe 1/2 cup a day.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I explained earlier that I had to go to bed. She is just drinking water out of her dish.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will someone else be responding to my question?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am unsuccessful getting ahold of the person who picked up my initial question. Can someone else help me?
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

I am happy to help you. Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

I am sorry your girl is having some trouble. I understand she gets nervous at new situations, however, drugs like prozac slow the bowel. They can also make her feel loopy and cause her more stress.

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

For constipation give her an ounce of warm, whole milk every day. It is that a natural laxative that will produce stools within 2 hours.

Up her liqud intake by offering tuna water drained from the can.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is is safe to stop the Prozac? It says not to stop immediately, so should I just go on to the new regimen and completely off Prozac?

you must wean her off prozac BUT it is completely safe to start the melatonin at the same time as the drugs do not interact with each other

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
my vet had me cut the dose in half the beginning of this week. I think it will be very hard to cut her dose now if I try, but I could cut it in half next week. Is that reasonable, and then start adding the others now?

or just give her prozac every other every other day till next week and then in half till gone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I give her more than 3oz of wet since she’s interested in the wet, and do I also wean off the Miralax as I do the milk or can I comepletely go off Miralax?

give her as much wet food as she likes. it contains water and oil and will cure constipation

miralax does not need to be weaned, you can stop it at anytime

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow Terri,
Thanks for all the great information.
You don’t have a practice in the San Francisco Bay Area do you? (Probably a conflict of interest question, but thought I’d try!��

you are more than =welcome. It is my pleasure to help sun ch a wonderful person.

I am in Florida

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again and enjoy The Sun!

I WILL and Thank YOU!

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert