Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We are a multi cat household—7 aging from 17-3 we had one of…

We are a multi...

We are a multi cat household—7 aging from 17-3 we had one of our furrbabies die from a massive stroke in November-since then the younger cats are fighting, urinating out the boxes etc. we have ruled out medical issues-have the feliway plug ins around the house-have one previously nervous cat wearing a calming collar which seemed to work the first month or so and now things are ramping up again with the behaviors-there is not one specific kitty staring the fights-general hissing at each other while walking by etc

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No medical issues -8 litter boxes through the house most being in one basement room built for the litter pans

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

All 7 of them?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

It’s not a kitten -the cats age from 17-3

1/17/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am so sorry you lost a fur baby.

are all your babies neutered?

what surfaces are they soiling?

which kitty is the pack leader (alpha)?

All kitties are fixed. There is only one cat that goes outdoors (and he is indoors during cold snowy tomes) but tends to keep to himself—there doesn’t seem to be a leader which I think is part of the issue but idk-I’ve had multiple cats my whole life and never seen a death impact things like this before. The kitty that died we referred to as the “healer cat “ as she was a calming feature with in the house.

Thanks so much for the very helpful information.

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

Also one observation-the peeing is on soft things like the sleeping pillows in the bathroom for the older cats-and in the bathtub-and the majority of the pees and fights occur first thing in the morning.

What you are experiencing is territorial insecurity.The cat who passed may have been the alpha. Without a leader cats become stressed and insecure. Peeing on a soft surface can indicate they feel a burning sensation when they void.

Give each cat 4 drops of cranberry juice, by dropper eve ry day for 7 days to lower the PH of their urine..

It is also possible one cat marks and the others mark over so THEIR pee will on top.

TO STOP THIS BEHAVIOR:

use an enzyme product like zero odor to remove all urine scents.

spray citrus, cats HATE the smell

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cat-Repellent http://pets.thenest.com/homemade-citrus-spray-cat-deterrent-5562.html

use a mood stabilizer

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert