Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She has been diagnosed with pancreatitis. She is 14 yrs. I…

She has been diagnosed...

She has been diagnosed with pancreatitis. She is 14 yrs. I am debating if it is time to put her down or if treating her is a reasonable option. She also j

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Pancreatitis, arthritis and hyper thyroid

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Dont know

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Well she has been diagnosed with several things

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat eating normally?

Not really

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK, abnormal eating. What is the cat's name?

Fuzzy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fuzzy?

Yes she is a three year survivor of hemangiosarcoma. Had her spleen removed

1/17/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. You question is one of the hardest questions we have to answer as far as I am concerned.

Cats can live well into their 20's and she is a Survivor I see.

Pancratitis is treatable with diet and the thyroid issue is treatable.

When I discuss whether it is time I base it on quality of life. Does the cat still enjoy family time and respond. Is the cat able to get around without too much pain, is the cat urinating and passing stool normally. As far as appetite, the Pancratitis can dull that until fully treated.

So what we need to determine if her quality of life is good enough to help her through this time.

You will be the only one who can determine about the quality of life and if she can keep going with her current ailments.

I hope this helps, and I know ths is not easy to make this decision, but gives you a small guideline to help make the decision.

Please hit reply to discuss you concerns or feelings on this matter.

Joan

What kind of diet will help her pancreatitis? Right now all she will eat is Royal Canin Recovery about 1 1/2 cans a day plus small amounts of her old canned favorites. Doesn't seem to have much interest in anything besides the Recovery.

The Recovery food is fine. Basically the Pancreas is inflammed, so giving small amounts of a diet that is not high in fat will allow the pancreas to settle down and that will help.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan