Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

A few days ago I noticed my cats fur looked oily and she had…

A few days ago...

A few days ago I noticed my cats fur looked oily and she had dandruff. Then it seemed fine. Today it’s back and she is sneezing licking her lips and sitting crunched like something hurts

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Tutu and she is 12. Never been sick and does not go outside

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is this new behavior?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tutu?

No she seems to be sleeping comfortably now. She did go to the bathroom a bit ago and it was fine. No blood and she didn’t seem in pain

1/16/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Tutu, please?

Regretfully, her signs are important but they're not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. For example...

Oily skin with dandruff which went away only to return suggests a cat too ill to groom regularly.

Sneezing usually indicates geriatric feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). This virus comes out of its carrier state when my patient is immunocompromised by another illness.

Licking of the lips usually indicates nausea, cramping, gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn), esophageal or oral pain.

Her change of posture might indicate abdominal pain.

Tutu's vet will want to perform a complete physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted blood and urine tests +/- imaging in the form of X-ray or ultrasound.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Thank you. Her blood work came back normal so next will be a dental approach. Thank you.

Sounds good. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian