Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He started losing weight but eating normally sorft food and…

He started losing weight...

He started losing weight but eating normally sorft food and dry food. He is 10 years old. Very skinny can feel all his bones, rubs his bones. He has also started laying on heat vents where warm air comes out. Bowels seem the same as I clean his litter. No diahrrea or constipation. I don't know what to do to help him gain weight back

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Snuggles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snuggles?

No never any health issues. Was neutered and declawed before I adopted him

1/16/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for?

He lost weight a few months ago but put weight back on. Over the last week noticed he is laying in bathroom on heat vent, still eating normally but very skinny, not around any other cats, strictly inside cat. Feeding dishes and water bowl are washed 2 times a week. Litter box cleaned daily. No change in bowl or urine out put.

Okay thanks for the additional information. How much weight did he lose? How much does he wieght now? Based on his age common issues that can cause weight loss in cats include kidney disease, diabetes, and thyroid disease. With the heat seeking behavior I would more suspect thyroid disease since it affects their metabolism and the ability to regulate their temperature. Blood work can easily determine if that is the case. The thyroid disease usually just involves giving medication to help with the thyroid.

Are you still there. I apologise I am unable to call right now

That is fine did yo u get my last response?

Is there anything I can try to help him gain his weight back? He weighs probably 10 10 pounds if that he feels very light when I pick him up

I would determine if he has any of those medical conditions that I mentioned first (thyroid disease, kidney disease, or diabetes). If he does then when you treat those issues that will help with his weight. Otherwise there is nothing you can do to help him gain weight if he has any of those medical issues without treating him first.

Ok I will make an appointment with my vet

Okay let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne