Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

Has nasal pharyngeal polyp and I live in Laurel MD. I need…

Has nasal pharyngeal polyp...

Has nasal pharyngeal polyp and I live in Laurel MD. I need to find a doctor that can do that procedure and s ventral bulla osteotomy si it doesn’t come back. How much does this run?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She was diagnosed with nasalpharyngeal polyps.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She can’t breath and s week ago started her with Flovent and made it 75% worse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Cleopatra Antoinette and she is 16 years old. Last December I spent $3500 on her and the doctor just removed a little bit to check if it was cancer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleopatra?

She is a little overweight, but she’s started to lose her appetite. I just need to know where to take her that is reasonable in price. Zip code 20723

1/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks.

There may be hospitals closer to you that offer a VBO but I have found a speciality clinic about 45 minutes from you in Frederick, MD: http://www.carefrederick.com

VBO costs can range greatly from the higher end of a few hundred to a few thousand depending on what is included. Many polyps are diagnosed by CT and MRI scanning. The cost of the VBO may include these diagnostics as well as hospitalization, the cost of the surgery (one side or both), anesthesia, pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluid therapy, etc. When I had a bilateral VBO performed on my cat about 5 years ago I paid right at $4000 with the aforementioned CT scanning. Her rechecks were included as well as 5 days of hospitalization. You'll need to speak to the hospital you intend to have perform the surgery but this will at least get you started on where to look and roughly what to expect on the cost. Keep in mind, I did not have this surgery performed at the location mentioned above.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello are you still there?

Were you able to see my reply above, JACustomer?

Hello?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What response?

Here's a repost:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is really really far.

Unfortunately you're seeking a specialty surgery so you aren't going to find very many clinics that offer it. It is one that you'll be referred out for, likely to a surgeon who does them regularly. It is possible for your vet to remove the polyps manually but they tend to grow back. 45 minutes from home was the closest I could find in your state.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The vet I took her in December*****overpriced. Especially since she really didn’t get the full polyp removed. If it’s $4000 and she doesn’t get them back I’ll be happy.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Frederick is about 1.5 hours from my house.

I'll opt out and see if someone else can assist you with a closer location. I searched on Mapquest.com and it claimed 45 minutes from your zipcode. Good luck in your search.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Phone call session started
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Please see the American College of Veterinary Surgeon website here: https://www.acvs.org/ and click on "Find a Surgeon".

There are quite a few board certified surgeons near you. I regret that I can't know what you'd be charged and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done.

If that link doesn't open use: https://www.acvs.org/

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian