Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My husband passed away 12/20. Our 11 year old male domestic…

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away 12/20. Our 11 year old male domestic cat has not left my husbands closet for 3 weeks.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

I placed his food and water nearby. He is continuing to eat and use his litter box without any problems (I moved them to this bedroom). He was always very playful and talkative.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Ben

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?

He acted like a dog with my husband, they would walk around the pool together, he would watch through the window for my husband to drive into the driveway, and spoke very loudly when around him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did Ben have a fall?

Yes I think so. How did you know that

1/16/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. What would a fall have to do with his new behavior?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No

I am so sorry about your husband. MY sincerest condolences for your loss. Cats grieve just like people. Plus Ben is upset because he senses your saddness. He feels safe in the closet because he smells familiar feels in there. If he fell in a room he could be scared to go back in there. Give him time, he will come out when he feels safe again.

make a cheap safe mood stabilizer add 3 mg of melatonin to food containing turkey. Either baby food or canned cat food.Turkey contains l.triptophan so combining it with melatonin will calm her down. However it must be given every 24 hours as the effects are cumulative.https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/melatonin-3-mg

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert