Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Got a kitten at 8 weeks old. She's a darling but from when…

Got a kitten at...

Got a kitten at 8 weeks old. She's a darling but from when we first got her and tried to feed her wet food she wolfed it down with a fury and at light speed. She would eat so much so quick and wouldn't stop that she would start chocking and food would start to come back up out her nose and she couldn't breath. We thought at first she was going to die, but we realized that she couldn't control herself and now only give her tiny bits of wet food, treats or table scraps. She will still occasionally get sick, and there's no telling when that be or what might cause it. We've had her for two months now and she seems to be getting a little better, but very little. We took her to our vet and she had no idea what could be wrong. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Precious.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Precious?

No, she's perfectly healthy in every other respect.

1/16/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

what foods is she currently eating?

Dry food mostly with a tiny bit of wet food.

Thanks so much for the very helpful information.

Has her vomiting stopped completely or is she still throwing up?

She will still throw up on occasion when she is sick.

Thanks so much. I think this happened because she was so happy to get wet food, she gorged herself on it.

Start out by giving her one tablespoon at a time so she eats it slowly 0r y ou can mix the wet with dry so she has to eat slower.

Any vomiting you can give her one quarter of a ten mg pepcid AC . I usually add it to a tablespoon of canned cat food so she does not taste it.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Terri, my kitty is still
Having problems even thoug I have I'very tried your suggestions. I think her problem goes way beyond mere excitement over her food.

have you checked inside her mouth for a cleft palate, broken tooth or any abnormalities?

are you feeding smooth, pate canned food with no pieces, chunks or shreds?

Had her checked by our vet when we first got her. No cleft pallet, broken teeth or other abnormalities.
We feed her only pate.

if she is still having trouble eating the pate food, something is wrong.

have her mouth and throat checked again, it may need to be scoped to see any irregularities. She may have an underdevoped gag reflex, a narrow esophagus or a food allergy.

Is there any difference between poultry, fish or other foods?Does she throw up, gag, other?

We've ruled out allergies. We can have her scoped and are considering a saunagram. She reacts the same with any kind of food. She will also shake her head very quickly and violently when she is sick. Her episodes usually only last a couple of hours or so, but she has been sick this time for the past two days.

can you try somethings for me?

1. check the cans for carageenan and eliminate foods with that ingredient.

2 try a jar of human baby food chicken or turkey with no onion powder and tell me if there is any difference.

What we are currently feeding does have carageenan so we will discontinue and try baby food with no onion powder.

GREAT! many cats are allergic to carageenan so if she does ok with baby food look for kitten food without carageenan.

let me know what happens.

Terri, we have tried the baby food with no improvement. Her "well episodes" seem to be improving in length, i.e. a few days well and a few days sick as apposed to sick every day and we are able to feed her a little more food. Have been giving her Pepsid for three days on and three days off.
Does she throw up on the days she takes pepcid?
Haven'the been giving it to her long enough yet to be sure. Been giving it to her regular for about two weeks and she's doing well so far, but will contact you in a couple weeks to let you know if it appears to be having a permanent affect.

ok great, have her vet check her mouth and throat when she goes in for her next shots or check up