Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have an 11 and a half male cat, he was always slender

Hi I have an...

Hi I have an 11 and a half male cat, he was always slender unlike my female who is a bit thick. I noticed a month or so ago he appeared thinner. He had dental work and his 2 fangs extracted in june, full blood work etc. all normal. His sdma was 14 all other levels were perfect. beginning of dec i was finding vomit daily, not knowing who it was but saw him once throw up. I assumed they were him. The following week, I repeated bloodwork end of december and all normal again with sdma still at 14 which I am aware is high normal. I give them hills organic for nature adults dry food, and used to give wet as a treat. My female would eat it so fast she would throw up so I stuck to dry and gave very little wet as a treat here and there. I am on top of their care as best as I can be. In speaking to my vet they said I can give KD as a preventative if it makes me more comfortable since they both are over 10 (my girl is one year younger) and play it save. I purchased nosorb cat litter to try to get urine since it is not an emergency to stress my cat to take him to the vet for urine sample (he gets very very stressed), no luck yet with getting urine. I am hopeful one day he will use the litter when I am home and able to get sample.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Nothing different and my cats are completely indoor cats. I am doing so much reading online which my vet advised me not to do since I have him diagnosed with every deadly disease I read.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Junior, Male 11 and half years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Junior?

His behavior is normal, the vomiting stopped. they just now have the usual once in a blue ate fast and occassionally vomit or a hair ball

This is my second time using this site regarding this issue because today I didn't listen to my vet and went online again and it stated in several articles that a year or so before a cat passes they usually loose weight, this alarmed me because it wasn't at all what I expected. He was from what we can tell (my vet is kind enough to come to the house for yearly exam and bloodwork because as I stated he is just so overly stressed at the vet) never over 10 lbs. he is between 8 and 9 from what i can see on my house scale. I love my vets and totally trust them they make many exceptions for my 2 cats for at home visits, I know them for years since I do a little rescue work with a local organization . I just wanted an outsiders opinion. Thank you for any advice or reassurance you can give.
1/15/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

How much weight has he lost in how long a period?

What foods does he eat?

Any symptoms of illness or stress?

I emailed all of that in my previous email, I sent an extensive detailed text

Thanks so much for the detailed information

Please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer

I am sorry you are worried about Junior. It is common for older cats to lose weight. That is due to changes in their ability to digest some foods. We often recommend trying a senior diet to make digestion easier for them. In addition several small meas are best to keep weight stable.y allowing ha

If Junior vomits cut down on dry food and give him pepcid every 12 hours.Canned fppd contains oil that limits hair ballls by enabling hair to be excreted via the stool.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

I figured for you to get idea of how he looks. My vet recommended starting dry KD and see how they do, of course slowly incorporating it with their current food. They then said after that to incorporate wet food also, so far they are doing ok with incorporating the dry. They have access to fresh water and I see them drink daily. I was feeding them previously (which I am still mixing in iwith KD) Hills Ideal Balance chicken and rice dry food.
My concern is several articles I read stating that a cat looses weight within a year of them passing and that shocked me. I know with age it can happen but that really threw me back a few yards, especially since his bloodwork is all within normal range and they did the senior panel with everything. Then it had me thinking cancer God for bid, it was just very upsetting and I should have listened to my vet and didnt read online. The vets do not think at this point it is necessary to do any other testing except if I can get urine one sat (no emergency) using the no sorp litter when I am home. Many thanks for your opinion of pics etc

does he like the KD?

If his bloodwork is unremarkable I do not think you need to worry about his weight loss beyond a diet change and pepcid.

I would rather he eat royal canin renal food rather than KD which is made by HILLS

there is a lot of scary conflicting info on the internet. I agree with your vet that it is best not to read it.

If, God forbiworkd he had cancer or a seripus illness it would show up in his blood work

Royal canine is better than KD? he is adjusting to KD well, both of them are. Were u able to see the 3 pics I sent? again I know u cant diagnose by a picture, but just so u can see what he looks like. I noticed the weight loss within 2 or 3 months or so and so did 2 of my friends... He seems to be remaining the same. You answered my other worry, cancer or other serious illness. When u read online it makes u worry. I thought most likely an illness would throw his blood out of wack and it is perfect. The only thing which is still normal range but high is the sdma at 14, all the rest great. My vet suggested the kd just as precaution. My vet who visited said he could have had virus etc. It doesnt seem that he is gaining weight back but i def see him eating, drinking, all is normal in behavior. He is a grazes he doesnt eat in one shot even wet food. He is a nibbler through the day

Both are good foods, it just depends on which the cat prefers.

I am not concerned about a serious illness because a sick cat stops eating entirely. It is his physical nature to stay slim.

Feed him small meals every two hours, when possible to help him gain weight.

I hope I have eased your mind. I will always be here if you wish to talk further

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
you and my vet did ease my mind. One last question that I am refraining from asking my vet because he will yell at me for reading and searching online (LOL and I mean that in a good way, I get along great with them). I read that an older cat tends to loose weight a year before they pass away, do you see that to be true.This startled me because I didn't expect to read that. I know my cat is a senior at almost 12 but I do know cats that are indoor can live to be 15 and even 20. I did loose 2 rescues young unexpectedly one at 5 and one at 8 so this is refreshing to have a 10 1/2 and 11 1/2 year old cats, with the hopes they live several years more. again many thanks
That can only happen IF the cat is sick and not eating much
I know its scary when you are worried about your fur baby
Thanks so MUCH for your rating
There is NO further charge so please feel free to reply and let me know how he is doing
Many thanks, ***** ***** ease my mind a bit. Have a great day!

my pleasure

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri