Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I am trying to catch a feral cat. I have a cage from animal…

Good morning. I am trying...
Good morning. I am trying to catch a feral cat. I have a cage from animal control. I did catch one cat and took that to a no kill animal shelter. the second cat I'm trying to catch is a mean and very savvy cat. He seems to be avoiding the cage. What type of food do I need to put in the cage to capture him? Or, what do I need to do? thank you.
1/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi, Rebecca. Can you give me more information?

1) Can you share pictures of your setup?
2) Where are you placing your trap?
3) What food are you currently using?
4) When does the cat typically come around?
5) Is anyone else laying down food outdoors for him?

Hello. 1. I hide the setup underneath chairs or blankets where it's not out in the open and placing in an area where I know the cat frequents. 2. I placed something for the cat to lie on and that covers the trip wire so to speak. 3.
3. I am using canned cat food and sardines. 4. the cat usually comes around at night. 5. I don't know if anyone is laying out food for him. he looks well fed as well. I do have an area where he sits all the time on our property.

Thank you for the additional information.

1) Is the whole trap covered or exposed?
2) Are you leaving out any other food sources?
3) Is the food just placed in the back of the trap or is a sampling made available at the front of the trap, as well?

Hello. 1. the whole trap is covered. I did not cover it all the way the first few times. 2. I am not leaving any other food sources. 3. the food is placed in the back of the trap with a few droppings in the front to entice him in.

It sounds like you're taking the right steps. It only takes one time for a cat to become trap aware, so moving the trap may help and talking to neighbors about not leaving food out may help, as well. Something I would recommend doing is trying two different types of food. These are my go-to when trapping ferals and strays that are trap aware.

1) Whiskas Captain's Catch (not sure why it works but it does). I leave one dollop of food in front of the trap, drizzle the fluid into the back of the trap and leave the rest of the container. The size is perfect to not obstruct a plate from depressing once it's been activated by the cat's weight.

2) Deep fried chicken straight from the grease (I usually drop by Church's or KFC before heading out to a site). I haven't met a feral/stray yet that can say no to this one. Even those who turn up their nose at food (like injured cats) will still give this one a try. Shred a few pieces in front of the trap, add a few to the center and then leave a nice chunk at the back.

Sometimes changing up the type of trap can help, as well. Havahart are the most commonly used but I LOVE and highly recommend the Trucatch style. They are less aggressive and less apt to scare cats. Most of the ferals/strays I trap don't mind returning to the Trucatch traps where many will steer clear of the havaharts. Another option is upgrading to a dog size trap. If the cat traps are too small some ferals won't enter them, but dog traps are bigger and they feel safer to some cats. If this doesn't work, you might go shopping on the internet or try borrowing a different trap from animal control.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
great ideas. thank you. I will keep you posted.