Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She was under anesthesia for an ear flushing after she

She was under anesthesia...

She was under anesthesia for an ear flushing after she started to loose balance. She was given a medication for an ear infection she probably no longer had It starts with osc or os. They wanted to flush it out because of the possible toxicity. That was at noon today. Her body seems back to normal, but her head is all over the place. Her eyes are going back and forth, and she keeps going around mostly in circles. I got her to settle and rest for about an hour, but it's not going away. I'm supposed to give her a steroid pill once she's over the anesthesia. I'm afraid to. Or should I?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She initially had an earache, I believe, when I got her from a breeder. She's a 3 1/2 year old Bengal retired breeder. It was treated with drops once a day for 7 days. She was still shaking her head, so I took her back in a week ago Thursday. They gave her one pouch of the gel treatment, 1/2 a tube in each ear. I was told to go back a week later to check her. Friday they gave her the same dose. Friday night she was shaking her head a lot and losing her balance. Saturday evening her back legs were giving out kind of like what it looks like coming out of anesthesia. I called the vet this morning, and she wanted to see her to flush out the ears. Now she thinks it may only be a mite issue. She is not the vet who provided the other meds.

1/15/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

What you are describing is ataxia and Nystagmus related to a Vestibular issue. The Vestibuard area is what allows all living things to walk normally. This area is in the middle ear. What was done has affected the Vestibular area causing the rapid eye movement side to side and the ataxia is the drunk walking.

Most likely the Anesthesia has worn off if it has been 6-8 hours, since she was awakened. If this is the case the steroids they are hoping will reduce swelling in the Vestibular area.

The Steroids will make her hungry, drink more and eat more.

I hope this explains what has is going on and why she is acting the way she is

having this issue. This site will explain the Vestibular affects you are seeing.

http://www.marvistavet.com/vestibular-disease.pml.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and your concerns.

Joan

the reaction is normal, and I should give her the pill, correct?

Yes, the flush and most likely the infection has affected the Vestibular apparatus. We see head tilt along with this as well. It is like being sea sick when the Vestiburar apparatus is affected. The Steroid was given to reduce swelling in the the area I belive. The link I gave you best expplains the vestibular and how it works.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Ok, thx. Unfortunately, she found her way outside ����, and I don't see her. I'll give her the meds if she makes it back. Geez. Thanks for the help.

Did you have further questions? I am here to help. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
I think she'll be ok. She still won't eat hard food, but I've been giving her some tuna. At least she's eating. I'll take her back to the regular vet when she's done with her meds.

Try some Pate, it is easy on the gums and usually well accepted. You can also try chicken baby food stage 1. We need to keep food going in. Antibiotics can also cause lack of appetite. You may want to ask about a Probiotic.

Joan

Thx for getting me through a scary time!

It has been my pleasure to work with you and feel free to request me for any help.

Joan