Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

We've had a kitten for about a month now, 14-15 weeks old.

We've had a kitten...

We've had a kitten for about a month now, 14-15 weeks old. has been to the vet. We have 2 from the same litter. One is bounding off the walls and ceiling, just amazing. The other used to lead the way, but the last 2-3 days has just lays there either just watching from the couch or bed, as the other tears around. Saw it eating a little earlier, it uses the litter box. It has very warm ears.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Smokie, male, had shots a couple weeks ago & appeared to handle that fine. They took samples for worm test & such. But we haven't heard back about that yet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

We feed them 3 times a day, according to what the vet recommended. They always have water.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

HE May have a fever, be teething or have an upper respiratory infection.

Check inside his mouth for a stuck item, sore or any abnormalities. Rub a drop of honey or syrup into his gums to raise his blood sugar.

drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let him lap it up for hydration and to replace his electrolytes.

n addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Terri - THANK YOU SO MUCH for your response and advice. It appears it was a case of teething and that our Smokie hadn't really eaten in over 2 days due to sore gums/teeth. We followed your steps, and while he wasn't bouncing off the walls as his sister was (thanks goodness actually), he was vastly improved after the honey on the gums and some soft food.
We had just lost a 3 year old cat that we rescued about 6 weeks ago very suddenly. We were probably overly-sensitive to the new kittens trials, but both my wife and I feel so much better about the situation after getting your feedback and advice. Again, thank you so much for lifting a burden from us. We couldn't have stood to lose the little guy so soon after him entering our lives.

Dear Marv,

I am so sorry about the cat you lost but very happy Smokie is feeling better. Cats suffer with teething just like human babies. Feed him warm, canned food so he eats well and keeps up his strength. Do the honey every 4 hours to keep his blood sugar stable. Drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish so he can lap it up for hydration and to balance his electrolytes.

I have helped you in the past so I remember what a wonderful kitty parent you are! Your babies are VERY LUCKY TO HAVE YOU!

Please keep me posted on Smokies condition.

i will always be here for you.

hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Love,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Thanks so much for your rating and VERY generous bonus.

Please let me know how Smokie is doing

Hi Marv,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Terri - Smokie is doing okay, although he is still a little lethargic at times. We are doing the soft food, and honey intermittently and it appears to be working well. We have an appointment for next Tuesday for both kittens for their second round a shots at the vets. So everything appears to be going great. Both of the kittens are incredibly lovable, not only to each other but to us. They are spending the nights in bed with us already. Well that is when the female kitten decides to QUIT bouncing of the walls & ceiling she spends the night in bed with us. Normally we each wake up to either a kiity on our shoulder, or a kitty "crown".
Thank you so much for your assistance.

I am glad Smokie is a little better. Can you take a rectal temp for me?

normal for a kitten is 100 - / 102.5

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert