Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I noticed that my cat is drooling a lot at times while

I noticed that my...

I noticed that my cat is drooling a lot at times while asleep and awake; at times there is enough liquid that his nose is also runny. While lying still in my lap, I notice occasional tremors but they are not like seizures. Symptoms observable for the past 3 days. Cat is in good spirits and quite happy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Uter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Uter?

Lives with his brother cat

Both are indoor cats. One returned recently from the vet.
His tremors seem more like shivers, but my home is not cold.
He continues to eat and defficate/urinate without issue.
Cat is young, about 1 year old.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/14/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Check inside his mouth for a stuck item, sore or any abnormalities. Rub a drop of honey or syrup into his gums to raise his blood sugar.

drain the water from a can of tuna into a dish and let him lap it up for hydration and to replace his electrolytes.

n addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Kind regards,

Terri

Why did you recommend different antihistamines?

they are all acceptable so use whichever you already have in the house. If you have none I recommend chloretrimeton

No, why do you recommend this treatment? My cat is not having an allergic reaction.

to stop the drooling

What about the tremors. That's what worries me.
They are like shivers.

Shivers can be due to fever, dehydration, hypoglycemia or allergy.

Honey, tuna water and an antihistamine should cure all those issues

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert