Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

We added a puppy today our household and she wasn't too

We added a puppy...

We added a puppy today our household and she wasn't too freaked out but not really happy either. Then our neighbor's dog escaped and went after her. She was at our front door getting ready too come in. We saw her the next morning but she ran from us. So we opened the barn door just enough for her too fit but no large predator. We've been leaving food and water in the barn for her and she is eating but she won't let us even see her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Pyewacket. Spell check changed my post. We brought home the puppy monday. The incident with the dog happened Tuesday night

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pyewacket?

She is 17

1/14/2018
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Are you saying Pyewacket was scared of the dogs and ran out?

Has she ever been outside before?

Is she spayed?

can you see where she is hiding?

what age breed and weight is the puppy?

If you are unable to reach Pyewacket or she will not come to you, first try placing food in the back of a carrier. Once she gets used to going i to eat borrow a have a heart trap from any rescue. The door will close when she goes for the food. Then you can bring her in the house.

To prevent a repeat of this behavior, put up baby gates so puppy cannot annoy her.

Cats and dogs are not natural enemies, they CAN live together in harmony..... I have both

You must teach pup a leave it command so he cannot scare Pyewacket. Let HER decide when she is ready to make friends with the dog. Do not allow him to bark at or chase her.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

Kind regards,

Terri

Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Terri
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My husband saw her briefly 2 days ago. So we started putting food in a Carrier. We figured that if she went in there to eat it we could get her in a trap cage. She finally came out of the barn yesterday. My husband sat in the barn for an hour so she could see him. She didn't come to him but we figured that was a good sign that she didn't run and hide. So I called her at dinner time last night like I always do and this time she came. Yay! We're glad we didn't have to trap her. We were afraid that it freak her out. Needless to say she's going to be housebound for some time.

AWESOME! I am so glad she came in!

There is NO further charge so if you need any help getting them to be friends just write and I wil be here for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks.

my pleasure

Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert