Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She's sneezing and has a dry runny nose. Savannah, 10 y/p.

Customer Question
She's sneezing and has...

She's sneezing and has a dry runny nose.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Savannah, 10 y/p

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Savannah?

Y/o

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Savannah?

She is on a balanced raw diet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
She is getting Omega oil and a car multi daily with her balanced raw Bison. She has been on the Bison over 6 weeks and has no other symptoms. She's not as hyper as usual, but still eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally.
1/12/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is the mucous being produced clear or opaque? Does it have any color to it? Any blood present?

Is she on any medication at this time?

It's looking clear, thete isn't a lot, it's mostly in the morning and after she eats. No blood. I wiped her nose with gentle coconut pet wipes, and put a touch of coconut oil on it so it doesn't look as chunky and dry now.
No medication

It sounds like she may be experiencing some seasonal allergies. This is not uncommon with changing weather, heaters being used indoors, the fireplace being used, etc. She can receive 2-4mg of OTC human antihistamine Chlorpheniramine every 12-24 hours orally. This should help with the mucous and sneezing. If this persists or you begin to see thicker discharge that is yellow or green, debris in the eyes, she loses her appetite, etc. this is more likely to be a URI and she needs to see your vet for a course of antibiotics.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you!Do you think 1/4 teaspoon of Apple cider vinegar would help too?

I don't think it would hurt, but be sure to mix it into her food.

Great, thank you very much for the help. I really appreciate it. I was a little hesitant with this site, but happy with the help.

You're welcome. I am glad I was able to assist.