Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have 4 cats 1 male 3 female. All are “fixed” but the male…

Customer Question
I have 4 cats...

I have 4 cats 1 male 3 female. All are “fixed” but the male attacks them sometimes, especially the oldest female. He is a Siamese, I use a calming collar, plus calming pills, and it still happens

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Siamese?

He attacks the others

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Siamese seem to hurt?

He doesn’t hurt

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the Siamese's name and age?

Omar 4 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Omar?

Not that I can think,of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat
1/9/2018
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How old are all the cats?

Can you describe what Omar does in regards ***** *****?

The oldest is around 14, she is a calico, the n3xt is around 8, she is a black cat, my female Siamese is 4. I adopted them the same day, and they have always been together. He usually pounces and bites the back of 5he neck. I know it looks l8ke he is trying to mate, but he was neutered young.

It sounds like Omar is the youngest of the group aside from the siamese. How often does this attacking occur and what do you do to address it when it happens?

Can you also tell me what toys Omar has to play with? Any that are interactive and don't involve playing with others or humans?

They happen so some degree every day, although sometimes Sara(the oldest) strikes out first because she doesn’t trust him. Sometimes he is just going up to her. He likes what a call crinkle balls, he bats them around, I got a toy that moves around and has a laser light. He mostly just watches it, while Mia(the female Siamese) loves going after the dot. Other toys that move he mostly watches. Sometimes he chases.

It sounds like Omar may be trying to play and is being too rambunctious for the older kitties. Biting a cat's neck from behind is not always indicative of intentions on breeding and the fact that he was altered young is a strong suggestion that this is not sexual aggression. I would recommend keeping a spray bottle nearby and when Omar tries to do this aim a stream of water toward his back end and issue a firm "No!". You can then redirect his interest to something else like his crinkle balls. I would recommend something interactive if he can be redirected. If he continues, separate him the girls for a few hours and then re-introduce.

A few toys to consider:

Flingamastring:https://www.amazon.com/Moody-Pet-FAS-1-Fling-Ama-String/dp/B00IRJ7NL0
Undercover bird or mouse: https://www.amazon.com/Pawaboo-Teasing-Undercover-Electronic-Interactive/dp/B01IP4N07M/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473898178&sr=1-4&keywords=undercover+mouse
Kong wobbler (if he's a fan of food, fill with treats he might like such as freeze dried salmon and skip a meal for the day so he's hungry): https://www.amazon.com/KONG-Wobbler-Treat-Dispensing-Large/dp/B003ALMW0M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1473898207&sr=1-1&keywords=Kong+wobbler

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Omar doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse