Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is sneezing and cant breathe out his nose i have

Customer Question
My cat is sneezing...

My cat is sneezing and cant breathe out his nose i have clavamox but its brown . the expiration date is 10/2018

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Mio

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mio?

Hes about 13 yrs old 24lbs

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
1/9/2018
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 6 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Mio is sneezing and has a stuffy nose. He may have allergies or an upper respiratory infection (URI), similar to our human cold.

Until you can get him to the vet, which is advisable, as soon as you can, set up a humidifier in the room he spends the most time in. You can move the humidifier from room to room and run it while he's in that room for a while. Make sure he can't get to it and he doesn't chew on the electrical cord. Don't add any medicine to it.

You can give him 1/4 - 1/2 of an antihistamine pill called Chlor-trimeton (4 mg.) every 12 hours and this should help with his symptoms. Here is more information:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton-for-dogs-and-cats/

--------

However, I recommend an in-person vet visit so he can be properly evaluated and then, treated, if necessary. URI's are viral and usually run their course in about 7-10 days. Make sure he's eating and drinking enough, because with a stuffy nose, most cats don't eat what they can't smell. If this happens, you can add some canned tuna juice or clam juice to his wet food and warm it up for a very few seconds on a low setting in the microwave, to release the aroma and make it easier for him to smell it. Be sure to mix it after removing from microwave and feel it with a clean finger, to make sure it's not too hot.

Definitely do not use the brownish Clavamox. It has turned and is no longer good. Clavamox is reconstituted with water and after that, is only good for 10 days in the refrigerator, so throw it out. The expiration date refers to the powder, before it is mixed with water.

You can also try to put plain, non-medicated saline nose drops in his nose--1 drop per nostril, once a day, and that might help. There's also a product called 'Little Noses' for infants/babies that may be used in cats.

I hope all will be well with Mio and please let me know how he's coming along and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Hi again,

Just checking to see if you read my answer and how Mio is feeling today. Did you bring him to the vet?

Thanks,

Cher

Hello, again.

I haven't heard back from you. I hope all is well. Please try to update me on Mio's condition. Thanks!

Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know, asap, so I can receive credit from the website for my assistance. Thank you!

I hope to hear back from you soon!

Best regards,

Cher