Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 1.5 year old cat is taking antibiotics for infection,

Customer Question
Hi, my 1.5 year...

Hi, my 1.5 year old cat is taking antibiotics for infection, won't eat anything even though he wants to, gets excited and then nothing. Thinking of liquid diet. He also has jaundice. Do you know of one?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

Ash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ash?

Vet already prescribed meds, just trying to get him ok through the 14 days of meds so he won't get weaker

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
1/7/2018
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the jaundice new or is his vet aware of this?

Is he on anything else medication-wise?

Hello, Jundice was first indication he was sick, he is taking clindamycin, this is after ruling cancer, fip, still looking at other blood tests, but all indication it is infection. Trying to keep him feed, but he wants to however doesn't

Hello again,

I am glad that his vet are aware as jaundice can be quite a serious signs --often indicating not just cancer or FIP but also liver disease, bile duct blockage or immune mediated anemia (where the red blood cells are damaged by the immune system). That said, if they have pinpointed an infection than that is good news as a liver infection would be easier to treat then the other concerns. That said, if he isn't eating, do make sure Ash's vet has him on an anti-nausea medication (since the antibiotics but also the liver infection could be what is putting him off food) and an appetite stimulant. As well, if his liver function is compromised there are liver supportive treatments (ie SAMe, milk thistle, etc) that can be beneficial for that. Further to those and in regards ***** ***** question, if we need to push foods, you can try offering or syringe feeding watered down canned kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet (this would be our best liquid diet option). All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. As well, in a pinch there are nutrient supplements (ie Nutrical, GNC for pets) that can be used to get some nutrients in as we try to help him fight this off.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**