Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My daughter has a Maine Coon / rag doll male, and you would…

Customer Question
Hello,my daughter has a...

Hello,my daughter has a Maine Coon / rag doll male, and you would think she had the best of breeds but just the opposite . She also has a regular stray female ,who is very friendly. at first they got along for almost two years,but now he is like a jekle hide cat you never know what your gonna get. the last several days he's been very aggressive towards my daughter to. Her home is set up for her cats since she works six days a week they have cat toys galore and access to all the windows plus two climbing cat trees and posts set around .she has no house plants for there safety and well they would just eat them. he is about three years old and has always been a house cat so can't figure out why now that he's turned. she called us and asked if we could take him to a shelter she couldn't do it . she's scared of what he could do to her and her other cat. We are so cat people and hate to do this so now we have him at our home. He is not a cuddly cat at all we only pet him when he comes to us and never very long or he turns and hisses at us. We live in the country and thinking about tossing him outside but we have three females whom we love dearly that are outside/inside pets and hate to do that to them also not sure they wouldn't chase him off,not to mention he's never been outside . don't know what to do with this guy. he's one of those cats that will have to b put out to work on. and picking him up is out of the question unless u want hurt. have any suggestions on what can b done to make him more friendly I've been trying to play with him he seems to enjoy this. but will this b enough .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Maine's name?

Bandet

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandet?

I've been told by some friends that this might be an urinary infection should i take him to my vet?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
1/6/2018
Cat Vet: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

I would set up Feliway diffussers all over the houe. They ar a Pheromone diffusser that may help with his demeanor and relax him. If you Daughter can handle him Rescue Remedy is an all natural calming aid that can be added in his water or rubbed inside the ear flap. It should help calm him. It sounds like he is alpha cat and may have some Regional aggression. Mancoons are known for agressive behaviors: http://mainecoonadmirer.com/aggressiveness-main-coons/

It would be wise to have him into the Vet and have some blood work done for Thyroid. The Thyroid can cause a change in Pesonality. If it was a UTI, he would constantly be in and out of the litter box, whining with paind and no urin in the box. I would definately ask for a full thyroid panel and blood work. I would also discuss the aggression with the Vet as they may suggest some anxiety medication to aid with the problem.

Please hit reply to discuss this information and further concerns.

Joan