Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We rescued a Blue Russian cat about 8 months ago. Provider…

Customer Question
We rescued a Blue...

We rescued a Blue Russian cat about 8 months ago. Provider said she was 4 years old at that time although we were not provided with any documents.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

She seems healthy and happy, but will not let us touch her. She will come close, plays with toys with us, and will even take treats from my hand, but any effort to actually touch her makes her flinch and move away. I assume she was abused previously but do you have ideas to help ease her fears?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Gracie. Female, still has claws.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?

No really - we have no children in the house, dust hubby and me, although other family visit. Gracie will come around them but not interact. She seems perfectly fine otherwise.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
1/4/2018
Cat Vet: Chelsea Schwarb,
 replied 6 months ago
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. There are a few things that you could try with Gracie that may make her open up a little more to you and your husband. I would try both Feliway and Zylkene to start. Feliway is a pheromone that is something that cats can smell but we cannot. It helps to calm them. It comes in a spray and a plug in diffuser. I like the diffuser better than the spray. The Zyklene is a behavioral supplement. You can purchase both online and do not need to see a veterinarian to start these. Another thing you could consider would be trying a prescription diet called Royal Canin Calm. You would have to have her evaluated by your family veterinarian to obtain a script for this diet. If none of these work, then medications such as Prozac could be tried and would likely help if her shyness is due to stress and anxiety. Her shyness does not necessarily mean she was abused by previous home. Some cats are really standoffish and do not like to be picked up or pet.
Please see following websites:
http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/content/zylkene#tab_section_2

https://www.chewy.com/feliway-30-day-starter-kit-plug-in/dp/121785?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Feliway&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAm7LSBRBBEiwAvL1-L4kP9s1VX9ZW89m21tQDgTYhCGVG16tIC-sh4gJDTJk7xUQEHCf2HxoCpcQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.royalcanin.com/products/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-feline-calm-dry-cat-food/3955

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. If you are satisfied with my help, then please hit accept and leave a positive rating. Thank you very much!