Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We got a new kitten 4 days ago. Today we came home and she…

Customer Question
We got a new...

We got a new kitten 4 days ago. Today we came home and she was laying with her paws in the water bowl is very weak and wobbly, won't eat or drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Oreo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oreo?

Shes 3 months old we have only had her 4 days

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 6 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hi, again and thanks very much for your patience.

I'm so sorry Oreo is not feeling well.

From your description of her symptoms, there are many possibilities. One, is that she got into something toxic; she could have been bitten by an insect or venomous spider and that is causing her weakness and lack of appetite and not drinking.

Due to her young age, if she were mine, I'd get her to an ER vet right away, to be evaluated in person, diagnosed and treated.

Before you leave and while you're bringing her to the vet, you can rub some honey, pancake syrup or sugar water into her gums (which should be light pink, not white), as she may be hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) and this may perk her up.

Not knowing what's wrong, there's very little you can do at home, so an ER vet center is your best next step.

I hope all will be well with Oreo and please let me know how she's doing. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Cher

We took her to the ER vet and they immediately put her on an IV and ran a few test but unfortunately she passed away this morning. Not sure how a perfectly healthy cat one minute could get so sick and pass so suddenly. We have other animals in the house and have for years with no problems so I do not think she got into anything toxic.

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news about Oreo. Sometimes, there's just no logical explanation and sometimes this could be caused by an unknown birth defect, that just started showing symptoms, suddenly. If you had a necropsy (autopsy for animals) done by the vet, you would have more answers as to the cause of her demise.

My heartfelt condolences on your loss.

This website dealing with pet loss has helped many people and I hope it will be a help to you:

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/

------------

Scroll down to the very bottom, center, and click on 'The Poem.'

Again, I'm so sorry about poor Oreo.

Best regards,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher