Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has had several X-rays and a sonogram of his stomach.

Customer Question
My cat has had...

My cat has had several X-rays and a sonogram of his stomach. Sonogram indicates inflamed intestines so inflamed that intestines appear to look like one solid mass. He is an 8 year old British short hair. We

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?

His lymphnode was inflamed near his intestines had it tested for lymphoma came back negative. This is an indoor cat only however, we did rescue a cat which is separated from and had giardiasis, coccidiosis, round worm. The cat has been treated and several tests have showed up negative for worms. Duncan the British short hair also had signs of a small amount of fluid in his lungs. Rescue cat and Duncan are still separated. Rescue is the basement.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Duncan since he was a small kitten has herpes virus.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2018
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 7 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

What foods does Duncan eat?

Could the mass be ingested hair?

Well he was eating royal canine and instinct rabbit wet food. Sometimes my kids will feed him cold cuts

does he vomit, have diarrhea or constipation?

has he been tested for pancreatitis and triads?

has he had an ultrasound?

All blood work came back normal. Initially this began suddenly with Duncan vomiting clear fluid and unable to eat. He is being treated with cortisone. He is no longer vomiting but and he wants to eat but eats very little. He will only eat tuna fish heated right now nothing else. He has not had a bowel movement for 1.5 weeks. We were told it was due to his lack of food in his system. Duncan had a thyroid and well panel done everything was normal.
I did give Duncan 1 treatment of Nemex and he did seem have a favorable response. He is supposed to get a second treatment next week. I tried flagy on him but because of the limited amount of food in his system it made him very sick I had to stop it.
Would a barium test give us any answers

Thanks so much for the very helpful information.

Give Duncan an ounce of warm, whole milk. It is a natural laxative that should produce stools within 2 hours.

He should have an ultrasound if that has not been done. Also an Fpli test for pancreatitis,

IN THE MEANTIME, forget about flagyl, IT TASTES AWFUL and is used for diarrhea, not constipation. A barium enema will not hurt.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

What will a barium test tell us. Duncan is weak I don’t want to stress him further if it is not a helpful test. I was told this could tell us if has a partial blockage

I agree with you completely, lets try milk and baby food before stressing Duncan further. An enema weakens a cat by depleting potassium

if he had a blockage he would vomit up all food

Do you think this could be a partial blockage. If so is there another test I could do or X-ray. Could parasites cause this problem.

you could do an xray with barium to identify any foreign items in the GI tract,

A stool sample will check for worms. Ingested hair is also a possibility.

An ultrasound is not invasive or stressful and can identify the culprit

I am hoping the milk, light diet and pepcid will be helpful

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri