Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We have a we have a Queen and a 3 month old litter of 3 boys…

Customer Question
We have a we...

We have a we have a Queen and a 3 month old litter of 3 boys and 1 girl with us. the kitten little girl has started hissing and growing at her mom the last week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the kitten?

She is healthy otherwise. eats, drinks, and plays with her brothers without issue. When we leave her and mom together a fight breaks out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Isabella

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Isabella. Is it only happening when she is alone with the momma or when the siblings are around too?

Siblings around too. Isabella starts it
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok, that is helpful. Are any of them still nursing?

They try but mom moves or kicks them off
They do eat real food. I have them on a raw diet and they are fed 3 times a day
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Ok, great. Is mom trying to overgroom her by chance?

Not at all. If anything little Izzy is clingy to mom
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

So, what type of behavior from Mom sets Izzy off to start hissing and growling?

Also, does she hiss/growl at her siblings or just mom?

We’ve broken it up 4 times tonight and now they are asleep on a hammock together. I don’t get it
Just mom. Play behavior starts it but mom is the same to all of them
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Ah okay, that makes sense now. Give me one moment to type up a couple of suggestions.

We’ve just been locking the kittens up at night and one of the girls for half the day when we can’t referee
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

I think that is a good start for now!

It sounds like she just gets overstimulated, which is very common. You are doing a good job managing interactions. Its just going to take her some time to learn to cope. The good thing to know is that it is very normal.

My suggestions are:

1. Get a Feliway Diffuser (you can order off Amazon or many pet stores carry them). This releases calming pheramones, which can help with anxiety and aggression. We use them for all sorts of undesirable kitty behavior.

2. Make sure the kitten girl has an area to get away - like a climbing post or even a box with a hole in it so she can escape when she has had enough.

3. You can also try to positive reinforcement type training, so offering treats whenever she is calm and interacting with mom in a desirable fashion.

4. Give her some alone time throughout the day where she can explore and play on her own/with you guys (sounds like you may already be doing this to some extent).

This is a behavior that she may grow out of shortly, or it just may be that she is more sensitive and needs to be around less cats!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Dr. Snow

Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 7 months ago

Are you still there? I'm going to be signed on for a while if you have more questions! If not, please kindly rate me using the stars at the top. :) We can continue to touch base and follow up in the coming days as well!