Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I took him to the vet today because he has been very Ill and…

Customer Question
I took him to...

I took him to the vet today because he has been very Ill and they told me his kidneys are only working at 15% and gave me a antibiotic I'm wondering what could have caused this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Leo and 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leo?

He has reddish brown coming from his rectum

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat
12/28/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you more accurately, I need to review Leo's test results which prompted his vet telling you that renal insufficiency exists. Can you upload a copy of Leo's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The very important complete urinalysis is missing. Leo's elevated BUN and creatinine indicate renal insufficiency but to know if a pre-renal (a problem outside the kidneys which is affecting them) insufficiency exists or, instead, a renal (a problem with the kidneys themselves), or post-renal insufficiency (an obstruction in the urinary tract, usually) exist, a urinalysis is essential. Treatment is predicated upon knowing where the primary problem is. If that problem can be addressed satisfactorily, his kidney tests might normalize. On the other hand, if he were born with defective kidneys (renal dysplasia, usually), he can only improve temporarily with the usual treatment for renal insufficiency - diuresis - 72 hours of IV fluids. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?