Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

She was discarded by a cat in the middle if the street. My…

Customer Question
She was discarded by...

She was discarded by a cat in the middle if the street . My daughter brought her home. She was in shock it appeared for two days. By the fifth day she could not lift her self up. She would eat and void and deficat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She is blind. Begore the high fever she would climb and jump. Now she bumps into things and is afraid to climb iut of the kitty carrier.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Mimi she weighed 1 1/4 lb.at 6 wk. She is 7 wks now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mimi?

The vet gave me Amoxicillen and Interferon for the fever of 105

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
12/24/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How can I best assist you today?

Can you share video of what you're seeing with her?

I don't have anything concrete to show you. She bumps into walls. She comes to the edge of a counter and screams. She is petrified to move. She goes to ehoever she can identify by sound. When I firt took her home she was fine. All this happened afte the fever and the 1/2 caps for fleas and the interferon and Amoxicillin. I do not know if she had sometyoe of brain damage fron the illness or injury or the meds

High temperature can most certainly brain damage and illness can certainly cause blindness. If she was fine beforehand and she is now blind, something has certainly happened in the interim. Has your vet scheduled for you to have her evaluated by an ophthalmologist yet to ensure that nothing can be fixed with the blindness?

What you're describing sounds typical for a kitten of her age coming to terms with new blindness. She will improve with time as she comes to term with her handicap and and learns to navigate without sight. I would ensure that she is not placed on any elevated surfaces where she might fall and allow her to explore on her own without someone "saving her", so to speak. She will need to depend on herself as she grows and learns and this will best occur by allowing her to safely navigate the home. Something you might also look into is a halo harness which protects the face but still allows the body to feel when and where they've bumped in to something. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=35588&cmpid=01cseYY&ref=XXXX&subref=AA&gclid=CjwKCAiAvf3RBRBBEiwAH5XYqGrQbTWqEruwBBFHxCRwn-SXqxFzzt_3LbqjZFLotZjN5xnsTRR8wBoCaZAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds These were first manufactured for dogs but can also be used in cats.

Checking in. How is Mimi doing today?

Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
Hi Margaret,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse