Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I treated a room with borax and I have been vaccuuming it…

Customer Question
I treated a room...

I treated a room with borax and I have been vaccuuming it every day but a significant amount of powder always shows up in the vacuum cleaner so I haven’t let the cats in there yet but I opened the door for a bit today and one cat keeps coughing and the other has eye inflammation

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

How i

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Coughing cat is Charlie and he is 3 and a half and the one with eye inflammation is bugg and she is just a little bit younger than him

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Charlie and Bugg

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
12/24/2017
Cat Vet: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 7 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Hi and Merry Christmas,

Borax can irritate the eyes and mucus membranes. You can give each kitty one mg per lb of benedryl every 12 hours.

I usually cut a 25 mg pill in half and add it to canned or baby food chicken so they do not detect it

For irritated eyes apply a damp teabag several times a day.

I hope they feel better very soon.

Kind regards,

Terri

One of them is now sneezing
Should I be worried that they might have borax toxicity

benedryl will cure the sneezing as well

they can also have l lysine every day

http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_and_Grass

you do not need to worry as toxicity only occurs in cases of ingestion of large amounts

Sorry to be so paranoid but do you know the amount at which it is toxic for cats

please do not apologize, i know you are worried about your fur babies

they would need to eat at least a tablespoon to be affected negatively

simple exposure only causes respiratory issues

I have been vaccuuming the room for weeks now and the borax is still there. It seems to be never ending.

do you discard the vacuum bags or leave them in the machine?

plus open the windows a hour a day

did you use borax to kill fleas?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri