Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My year old neutered male cat has suddenly been acting

Customer Question
My year old neutered...

My year old neutered male cat has suddenly been acting angry, with much meowing (and he usually not very vocal). He doesn't wish to be held like normal and didn't want cuddled as usual this morning. He also wants to like at his general area alot. I lifted his tail and his anus looks clean but he got upset with me touching his tail. He keeps trying to hide. What could be wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Tyree and he is 1 1/2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tyree?

I haven't looked at his litter box but he did seem to be indecisive about going downstairs yesterday, where his box is located. He kept wanting to go back and forth.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat
12/23/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am quite concerned about your lad, especially as this has been so sudden in onset.

While pain with anal glands can cause his reaction to you touching his tail; if Tyree has been in and out of the litter box as if he needs to go and may have discomfort in his belly when you handle him, I'd be worried he may have a urinary blockage. Especially if you meant he was licking his genitals (it can cause them to be vocal and behave oddly as well).

Now an inability to urinate is life threatening. When we have male cats that cannot urinate it is often because of a urinary blockage (crystals, inflammation, spasm, etc). This can be a condition that comes on suddenly and often cats will seem fine initially but perhaps show increased trips to the litter box or straining to urinate (which can often be mistaken for trying to pass feces or they can pass diarrhea because they are straining so hard to urinate), and licking of the irritated privates. But as the bladder fills, they can become painful, vocalize, become ataxic (wobbly), lethargic/hide, and even depressed/collapsed. And as time goes on with the bladder blocked, we see urinary toxins leak back into the blood. This can make them feel worse, vomit, and it can even slow and stop their heart and be fatal if not unblocked and emptied immediately. Therefore, if you are not sure that he has urinated at all and is appearing in this manner then you need to get him seen right now (by the ER vet if your vet isn't open).

Overall, with the sudden onset of such signs in a male cat, I would be concerned that he has a bladder blockage. Therefore, we do need to be cautious. Ideally, this would be a situation where you'd want a vet to check him over now.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian