Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

My almost two year old cat ate curling ribbon on Tuesday. He…

Customer Question
My almost two year...

My almost two year old cat ate curling ribbon on Tuesday. He vomitted it up and was acting fine that night and Wednesday. In Thursday we cam home to vomit a large amount water, stinky and brown with a hairball. He has drank watwr and nibbked on a few pieces of food. His ears are cool to the touch and he just moving from one spot to another. He has let our son lay.on him and give.him love. Will pur when petted. He fur is unkempt put he was not a big groomer to begin with.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He is an indoor cat only

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat
12/23/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Do you think he brought up all the ribbon he ate?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, or drooling?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any changes to his stool or straining to go?

His gums are pink and they feel moist. No retching or gaging. I have pressed on his belly and he does not cry out or tey to bite or scratch me. I do think he throw up all of the ribbon. I believe he had a BM yesterday with no problem. We have another cat but it was him that left the litter box and it had a fresh BM

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see that you don't think there is ribbon still in the GI as it can cause serious harm (blockage but also they can cut through the intestines) for our cats. Still with his having vomited since and the restlessness you reported we do need to tread with care. Both could be features of a bit more ribbon in the GI but also could be related to stomach irritation from when the ribbon was ingested.

With this in mind, we can start some supportive care. First, we can counter nausea with an OTC antacid. Often we will use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), but we'd lean to using a liquid antacid option (ie Milk of Magnesia-0.25tsp every 12 hours) if possible just as it will also coat the stomach and throat if we do have irritation. Otherwise, we'd want to offer soft foods and to these we can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up his stool and push any chance bits of ribbon through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). And this will also work on any further hairballs that could be involved as well.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on him. Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, belly pain, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). Not related but we'd also want to keep an eye that he can pass urine as blockages there can be a male cat emergency (its less likely but always worth keeping an eye since it can make them restless with sparse vomiting too). If you see these signs or he isn't passing urine, then having him seen would be best for his vet to have a feel of his belly +/- an xray to look into this further. Otherwise, we'd hope to use the above to soothe his gut, pass any ribbon left over, and get him feeling better so he feels like grooming as normal for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian