Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

For a couple of days now she hasn't been jumping up to her…

Customer Question
For a couple of...

For a couple of days now she hasn't been jumping up to her usual high places so when I got a change to cuddle her I felt her tummy/chest area and it feels like there is a large hard lump inside. In the first day she meowed each time we tried to pick her up but now it doesn't seem as painful, but I'm still not sure what's going on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name?

Evie

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
12/19/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How old is Evie?

Can you share via picture where this lump is located?

Have any diagnostics been performed by your vet yet?

There is no visible signs of a bump

When you feel it, how far behind her ribs does it appear to be?

It feels pretty prominent. Dad thought it could be to do with the ribs because it's so easy to feel. It feels, in a way, boney.

Does it feel attached to the ribs or can it be freely moved in the abdomen?

It feels attached

To the ribs or something else?

I'm not quite sure...

Based on the fact that you can detect a mass, alone, is reason for concern. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you without feeling what you're feeling if this might be something akin to a fatty mass or if you might be feeling something much more concerning like a mass within the abdomen that might be cancerous. I do think based on the fact that she's had change in her behavior and you've been able to palpate a mass that she should have an examination. Your vet may recommend a wide range of diagnostics to determine what this is from bloodwork to x-rays or ultrasound to fine needle aspiration or even surgery. Some masses need to be removed, others don't. Some are malignant, others are benign. Your vet will be able to give you a better determination on how to approach this now that a mass has been located.

At home, I would try to keep her as comfortable as possible until she can be examined. I would be cautious about letting her in to high places she might be painful coming down from, which might result in pain or injury. Make sure not to give any OTC pain medication for humans to her as they're toxic to cats.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Evie today? Did my post above come through for you to view regarding care?

Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy