Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Devlin My cat developed this type of rough sore on one of…

Customer Question
Hi Dr Devlin My cat developed...
Hi Dr Devlin
My cat developed this type of rough sore on one of the corners of her mouth. She still eats and doesn't seem irritated by it but it got a bit bigger in the last month . I was wondering if you have any advice on what it could be?
I have a picture to send if you need. I'm really nervous if this an infection or feline herpes and if vet assistance is required
Thank you so much
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
12/17/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Regretfully, the photo is out of focus and in the shadows. Can you try uploading a better photo for me, please?

Thank you! Give me a moment to take a look, please...

The photos indicate a mucocutaneous ulceration/pyoderma. This is rare in cats but when found indicates severe infectious disease, gingival disease, or immune mediated disease (important). Whiskey's vet isn't likely to have seen this skin condition in cats and may recommend skin biopsy in order clarify the diagnosis. Alternatively, mupirocin ointment or cream can be applied every 12-24 hours in addition to a systemic antibiotic for a minimum of 3 weeks. Please note, however, that an immune mediated skin condition such as the pemphigus complex won't respond to antibiotics alone; glucocorticoid (steroid) therapy will be needed; hence, serious consideration to biopsying this skin should be made. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

How is this developed? How does she contract it? Could this be feline herpes? Are there any home remedies I can get started with?I mean this answer seems like worst case scenario. Is there anything else it could be? She's eating, she's playing, she's cleaning herself, she's social . I mean if this was a viral infection I assume her behaviour would change drastically

It indicates either severe infectious disease such as her being a carrier of one of the immunosuppressing viruses - feline leukemia or feline immunodeficiency virus - neither are likely in an otherwise normal cat but if she hasn't been tested for these viruses, her vet will want to do so; gingival disease - that's easily ruled in or out by directly visualizing her gingiva; and, most important, immune-mediated diseases which are most often considered genetic aberrations involving the immune system. No, this doesn't look like herpetic skin lesions which shouldn't be considered in any event unless she has a history of severe recurrent respiratory infection. The only home remedy I might consider is carefully lavaging the area with over the counter chlorhexidine solution or shampoos which you can find where pet supplies are sold. Topical chlorhexidine is a good antimicrobial and safe to use around the mouth. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is it ok if I put some peroxide on it for the time being until I get to the vets tomorrow?

Peroxide is likely to sting like the dickens and it isn't much of a disinfectant. You can try but be careful as she might strike out at you.

How can you tell if there are signs of gingivitis?

Her gums would look inflamed (reddened) and likely swollen as well.