Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Loose stool with some bright red blood in it. Fiyero, he's…

Customer Question
Loose stool with some...

Loose stool with some bright red blood in it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Fiyero, he's 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Fiyero?

He's overweight even though he has the exact diet as our 2 other cats who are not overweight.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
His stool also has a strong odor. He does not appear to be straining at all in the litter box. He eats Iams dry food for indoor cats (weight control) and Purina canned food 2X daily with water added to make a gravy. We see him at the water bowl regularly. Our 3 cats get their share of 1 2/3 cups dry and 1 can of canned food daily. Fiyero is a picky eater and doesn't like changes to his diet and doesn't like cat treats of any kind. He has always been overweight, doesn't seem to burn calories like the other 2 cats do. All 3 cats are kept indoors. He is generally a happy boy, not very active, likes sunbathing and snuggling. Is he okay? We live in Maine. The car plus vet is a traumatic experience for Fiyero. Will take him if needed, of course, but trying you first.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

How much blood did you see (spoonful, cupful, etc)?

What color is the stool?

Any issues passing urine?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

I have seen blood in the past week. Not a lot, a stripe of bright colored blood passed along with the stool. Stool is brown, but a bit lighter and thinner and looser than his usual. Passing urine per usual. Gums are pink and moist. Belly is chubby but he doesn't react to us pressing and poking at it. Very unlikely he got into anything. He is very picky about what goes in his mouth. Nothing around to get into, no vomiting.

Hello again,

First, I am glad to hear that it is only a small volume of blood you are seeing as this makes severe hemorrhagic bacterial or viral infections less likely for Fiyero. Instead, it sounds like the fresh blood is just colitis secondary to the loose stools. And this mean we'd be concerned about a colitis (bacterial or inflammatory) but also may have a primary include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites or protozoa infections, or a general dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, you can try an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, if he is very loose then you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. (of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing products as those aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, just so we can exclude worms (whipworms specifically) and also some protozoal agents, you may wish to worm him with Fenbendazole/Panacur at this point. This is OTC at most vets (and some larger pet stores) but they will just need a recent weight to ensure they dispense the right dose. And that way we can narrow down some of those parasites for him.

Overall, Fiyero's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet to assess him and test a stool sample. Depending on their findings, they can treat him with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoal treatments as needed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian