Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

6 days ago my cat vomitted in the morning. He threw up his…

Customer Question
6 days ago my...

6 days ago my cat vomitted in the morning. He threw up his food there we no signs of anything else in the vomit. The next morning he threw up again but it appeared to be just a small amount of mucus or clear liquid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

I sent before i meant to. That morning his food dish was empty. I filled it but he hasn’t eaten since. I am not aware if him eating anything starnge but he is just about 5 mos old and he has always been one to sneak food off the table or trash etc. I have been concerned that he ate needles off the christmas tree or perhaps ate some garland. I have no tinsel or thin ribbon thinking avoiding those would avoid any kitty mishaps. He is and has been lethargic and non social. I have been giving him ondansetron and then once it kicks in i can give him karo and pedialyte. I have been regularly rubbing his belly which does not seem more than slightly distanded. He does

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your kitten?

He does not seem to mind if i reub his belly. I can find no spots that seem to bother him. I have felt around the colon and it does not seem abnormally hard. I have been giving him some oils- fish and mineral..hoping that between the oil and syrup i can avoid hepatic damage. He is up to date on vaccines. He is soley an indoor cat.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat
12/15/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he eating and drinking well?

How long have you been giving the ondansetron?

Have any diagnostics been run thus far such as bloodwork or x-rays?

Is he producing normal stool, as well?

Does he appear to have any swelling of the body, particularly the abdomen?

Has he been FIV/FeLV tested yet?

When was he last dewormed?

Is he neutered?

s he eating and drinking well?
-neither. i am hand feeding him pedialyte, water, mineral and fish oil, karo syrup.How long have you been giving the ondansetron?
-since monday I believe. it's been the only way to keep fluids down.Have any diagnostics been run thus far such as bloodwork or x-rays?
-noIs he producing normal stool, as well?
-no, he had not pooped in at least 3 days until today, he had 1 small loose stool.Does he appear to have any swelling of the body, particularly the abdomen?
-not that i can tell...slight if anyHas he been FIV/FeLV tested yet?
-yes negativeWhen was he last dewormed?
-at the shelter before we adopted himIs he neutered?
-yes

Good morning, thank you for your responses to the questions.

In short, since this has been ongoing for the better part of a week your companion truly needs to be examined by a veterinarian and diagnostics need to be performed such as bloodwork and abdominal x-rays. At this stage, I imagine your vet is going to want to perform x-rays with contrast to see if any of the aforementioned needles or garland might be visible on x-rays with contrast. A blockage is quite the concern in a cat who is having continued vomiting and is not producing stool. If this might have occurred, surgery is likely going to be indicated to remove whatever material is present.

The items you're giving will help keep him hydrated, but they are not calorie dense. When cats begin not eating their liver often suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. This can happen in as little as 3 days. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217 Since it's been almost a week, he needs to have bloodwork to determine where his organ values sit and if there is any primary or secondary condition that needs to be approached medically. A wide range of treatments may be in the future for your little guy from IV fluids and injectable anti-nausea medications to the aforementioned surgery all based on what is found during the examination and diagnostics.

If you must continue your efforts at home, I would try using KMR, kitten glop and also pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

Hi D. Michelle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse