Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

We think urine. Several spots on the floor and carpet in…

Customer Question
We think brown urine...

We think brown urine. Several spots on the floor and carpet in last three days, no other sign and she is already on hills science diet cd.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Izzy Isabella

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Izzy?

She eats really fast dry cd followed by a couple of bites of wet and then throws up. Took her to the vet...did two treatments of dewormer which seemed to eliminate the throwing up for a very short time. She has a brother kitty who’s fine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Izzy eat anything unusual?

No. Just dry and wet sciencediet cd

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
Maybe throw up from looking at the consistency of the lastest spot. Clear, brown spit consistency.
12/13/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Okay.

That brown urine is likely a combination of blood and protein giving it that look. This is often times due to FIC (feline interstitial cystitis) in cats. It's similar to a UTI, but there's no actual bacteria present. It's a sterile cystitis.

I usually treat these guys with an anti-inflammatory like Onsior or Metacam. You could get either one from your vet. Sometimes I'll also do a round of antibiotics just in case there is an infection present.

Here's a nice link on the condition in cats with more info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

do I need to take her in now or can I wait until morning. If it’s throw up, what could that be? Kind of like dry heave consistency according to my husband.

You can wait until the morning. I think the vomiting was likely a little stress vs anything too serious.

If it's been more vomit and not urine, then it could be something like a GI infection or pancreatitis or even an obstruction if she ate something that got stuck. The exam and getting a urine sample will help to clarify where the fluid is coming from and how to best manage it.

did I get charged for the private phone call? I just want to know if I can wait to take her in or should I go now at 11:00 pm.

I still think you are fine to wait until morning to get this resolved.

You did not get charged for a call. I'm not able to call right now.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?