Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I believe my cat has a bladder infection. I came down to…

Customer Question
I believe my...

I believe my cat has a bladder infection. I came down to find a bloody urine spot on the floor. For the past 5 mins he has been trying to urinate without success. He has just recentlly been diagnosed with diabetes. The vet saw him fri pm and took both a bld and urine sample. I am a DDS and could quickly get an antibiotic for him if I know what to give him. He has an appt for this weds to to determine the amt of insulin needed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Winston, age 11, weight 16 lbs. he only stays in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Winston?

He is 11 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?

He suffered mega colon 3 yrs ago. The condition was remedied by a gut resection.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat
12/11/2017
Cat Vet: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Winston, please?

Please be aware that both a bacterial urinary tract infection and idiopathic cystitis will cause the hematuria and stranguria you're witnessing. The former should respond to an antibiotic such as amoxicillin/clavulanate dosed at 12.5 - 25 mg/kg (90 - 180 mg for Winston) TID for 7 days. I would treat a diabetic at the high range of dosing. The latter is a sterile inflammation of the bladder and urethra in 98% of cats and is treated by diluting the urine with supplemental fluids, feeding wet food only, +/- feeding a prescription diet available from his vet. Cats suffering from idiopathic cystitis can form excessive amounts of mucus and grit which can obstruct the urethra of these cats preventing them from urinating, It's important to monitor Winston's urine output at this time as a "blocked" cat will go into renal failure within 36 hours.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian