Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 7yo cat with FIV. He was brought into my car with…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 7yo cat...
Hi
I have a 7yo cat with FIV. He was brought into my car with bronchitis and after several antibiotic treatments the breathing still hadn’t cleared. He’s had some very bad days and has also since had all his teeth removed which temporarily improved his condition, however he is now still very often struggling to breath, drooling and sneezing a lot which quite often produces small droplets of blood from his nose. One vet said he has severe scar tissue in his nasal area. Does this sound correct? What can be done to treat or help him be more comfortable?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
12/8/2017
Cat Vet: Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, thank you for contacting us at Just Answer. I will do my best to answer your questions and help your kitty. Can you give me a bit more information? Do you have an approximate age on him? How was he diagnosed with bronchitis- did your veterinarian take radiographs? Was there any blood work done? It will help me give you the best information if you could let me know any of that information.
Cat Vet: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. Some FIV positive cats can get chronic rhinitis (nasal swelling) that never fully resolves. There are a few things you can try to help him breathe easier.1) Cerenia nose drops: your vet can make these using injectable Cerenia that you can administer directly to his nose via a nose drop. This typically helps a lot with the inflammation.2) Nebulization: some chronic rhinitis respond well to nebulization, which is when you use a nebulizer to administer aerosolised medication or saline. You can purchase a nebulizer off of Amazon and can be shown how to use it for your cat by the vet.3) Antiviral therapy such as Interferon-- this can help cut down on viral load in some cats.4) Chronic antibiotic use such as Azithromycin-- this can help reduce secondary bacterial infections.Unfortunately, his nosecond will probably always be congestion to some degree due to his FIV status. Hopefully some of these ideas helps him along the way. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cat Vet: CalCatDoc, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I'd like to weigh in with some additional advice.

The most common cause for chronic upper respiratory problems in cats is Feline Herpesvirus. I always put my patients with "the sneezies" on a lysine supplement to try to inhibit the herpesvirus replication. It doesn't cure it, but it can over time make the cat much more comfortable.

Lysine for cats is available as Viralys powder made by Vetoquinol. Not sure if you have it in Aus but it is an OTC (nonprescription) in the US and available online. I typically have owners give 1 scoop twice a day in a little dab of canned food, long term if not forever, depending on how well they respond.

It's a simple, easy, basic first step that shouldn't break your bank. Always worth a try in these cats.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Your next step if it doesn't help would be to try some of the things KatherineSchmidt has recommended above.