Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat started peeing in the pet beds recently. She’s never…

Customer Question
My cat started peeing...

My cat started peeing in the pet beds recently. She’s never done that before and I’m wondering if maybe she has a UTI or something. At first I thought it was because I just bought a new one and maybe she wanted to “mark” it so that the other cats wouldn’t go in it, but she went in the old one too after I removed the new one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

I’m not sure. As I stated above, she’s urinating outside the box in the pet beds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

I don’t know if she’s hurting. She isn’t meowing when she goes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?

Buckeye

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buckeye?

She’s 13, she has asthma, arthritis, and a slight heart murmur

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Cat Vet: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry Buckeye has starting urinating on her bed. You are correct; this can be a sign of a UTI, or small crystals in her urine. The only way to be sure would be to do a urinalysis, at your veterinarian.

If she does have a UTI, your veterinarian could send antibiotics and that should take care of the problem.

Other possibilities in a cat her age are increased urination due to diabetes, or kidney disease.