Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat’s nose smells a little sour. Jameson. Age 4. He is on…

Customer Question
My cat’s nose smells...

My cat’s nose smells a little sour

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Jameson

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jameson?

Age 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jameson?

He is on cannapet I give to him for separation anxiety

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
12/1/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 4 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm currently reviewing your question and will post back with a reply, shortly.

Sounds good.

Hello, again.

Did you notice the sour smell on Jameson's nose after you started him on the Canna-pet?

Is the Canna-pet a chew or liquid?

Does he have any other symptoms, like sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, eye discharge, oral problems that cause him pain while eating or drinking?

Is he eating, drinking and eliminating as usual? Is he playing normally and breathing normally?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a little while to compose and send my answer.

Best wishes,

Cher

It’s a pill but I haven’t noticed any symptoms. He was just boarding at a cat hotel. His eyes have some eye gunk under them. Could he have kennel cough?

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

If he was just boarded at a cat hotel, he could have been exposed to various illnesses that were carried by other cats. An upper respiratory infection would be the most common, however, the sour smell you noticed could be from the cat hotel, itself---from bedding, litter, toys, etc. that he was exposed to, there.

It's not uncommon for cats to have gunk in the corners of their eyes or under their eyes, every now and then, but if he has it all the time, and you only noticed it after his boarding experience, he should be checked out in person by his vet. If he's not coughing, he should not have kennel cough, which is called 'Bortadella' in cats. Kennel cough is caused when the Bordetella bronchiseptica species of bacteria infects the back of the mouth and throat. This is very contagious, when an uninfected cat is exposed to an infected one.

Make an appointment for him to be evaluated by his vet, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment, if needed. If Bortadella or any other bacterial infection is diagnosed, he will need to be treated with antibiotics.

I hope all will be well with Jameson and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

I hope you found my answer helpful and will rate positively, however, if you have any further questions, I wanted to let you know that it's time for me to sign offline, as it's very late where I live. I will be back online tomorrow afternoon if you need any further information. If not, I do hope I was helpful to you and Jameson!

Goodnight,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist