Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Well, it’s a bit of a puzzle to me. I feed all my cat simply…

Customer Question
Well, it’s a bit...

Well, it’s a bit of a puzzle to me. I feed all my cat simply nourish and my two females have on going liquid diarrhea. I’ve fed them pumpkin for cats to help harden the stool and white chicken but nothing is helping and they don’t have worms. I’ve been seeing them simply nourish because one of my cats had the same issue as now, but the food hasn’t helped and it’s almlst been two months. I just don’t know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?

I have four cats, only two of them hve this issue. Sometimes the other male does but not often. The main cat is storm. She has always had this issue. The other one is nyx and the third cat that has this issue every now and again is named blade

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blade?

He seems perfectly healthy besides his poop issue here and there. My cats are 9 and 4 months old. Oldest is nine, the other three (blade nyx and storm) are four months as of the 25th.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
11/30/2017
Cat Vet: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hello. This is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Okay thank you.

Liquid diarrhea almost always means that the bacteria in the colon is out of balance, irregardless of the cause. I would start all of your cats on either Provable or Fortiflora, which are probiotics. You could even start the two with diarrhea on Propectalin to help firm up their stools. With three kittens, my top differentials for the diarrhea are Coccidia, Giardia, dietary indiscretion (chewing on plants, etc). I would take in a stool sample and have it tested. If you have done this very recently and it was negative, then I would ask your veterinarian to treat for coccidia. Coccidia is found on a smear < 50 % of the time in an infected cat. The treatment is pretty benign, so worthwhile with chronic diarrhea in a kitten. If it is found in the stool, then all cats in the household need to be treated. Please ask any follow up questions.

Is there any kind of food switch I can do in the mean time waiting for a vet visit spot to open up? They are never dehydrated but I know this sort of this is not good on a cats digestive system.

I would not change the food again, because it can exacerbate the issue. I would start by adding the probiotics. Especially propectalin, which you can order on Chewy.com. I would use it for three to five days in the two with active diarrhea.

Okay. Thank you so much for the help!

Your welcome. Enjoy the holidays with three kittens!!!!