Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My 21 year old cat is having a few changes. She is favoring…

Customer Question
My 21 year old...

My 21 year old cat is having a few changes. She is favoring one back leg over the other and seems to wobble. She is eating and drinking but peeing less and hasn't pooped in two days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Flannel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flannel?

She was diagnosed with a leaky mitral valve 3 years ago. She's had an echo cardiogram every year and they have told me it isn't affecting her heart function so she isn't on any medicine

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
11/28/2017
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 4 months ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you with Flannel (great name!). It definitely sounds like something is going on. Does she have any coughing? Does her breathing look normal?

No coughing. She did sneeze a few times early but hasn't since. Her breathing seems normal and she is still able to jump
Cat Vet: Sarah Snow,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok,great!

I think there are a few things that could be going on.

With her history of having heart disease, it is possible she could be having a blood clot. Generally, though, blood clots are quite painful in cats and they are reluctant to move and don't want to eat.

You can feel both her back paws to make sure one does not feel colder than the other.

The other possibility is arthritis. Arthritis could make her favor her back legs, wobble, and be reluctant to posture to urinate or defecate. We do have some good treatments available for arthritis in cats. One of these is called Cosequin, which is a joint supplement. You can order it online.

Older cats are prone to thyroid disease as well, which can cause balance issues. They also frequently vomit and lose weight.

Really, the best thing to do would be to get her in for a good checkup with your vet and maybe some bloodwork to try to rule these things out! That way we can pick the best treatment for her.

Post back with further questions and let me know what you think!

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow