Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a 7 month old cat who recently stopped jumping up. He…

Customer Question
Hi! I have a...

Hi! I have a 7 month old cat who recently stopped jumping up. He kind of struggles to pull himself up on the couch. He’s still running around,’playing with his twin brother and i’ve been rubbing his body using pressure but can’t seem to find the problem. He seems totally fine except for this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Deacon

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Deacon?

They were introduced to the outdoors about a month ago. That’s about it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat
One more thing...I discovered yesterday that they have fleas so I gave them Advantage. Possibly flea related?
11/26/2017
Cat Vet: nekovet, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any history of a trauma or fall?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any tenderness if you press down on the back or flex/extend his legs?

I don’t sense any tenderness. He’s now jumping straight up but still won’t jump onto something if that makes sense. He’s also now sitting up on his hind legs with his paws up like a dog! Any ideas?

Hello again,

Now usually when we see these behaviors in younger cats, its due to discomfort in the hips, abdomen, or back. That said, if he can jump up but isn't keen to land and is sitting up to reduce weight in his forelegs, we'd be more concerned about discomfort in the forelimbs or upper region of the spine/neck. And often this will be due to a traumatic injury (which we aren't always aware of as it can be something as simply as a misttimed jump or bad landing), but we can also see this with spinal inflammation, disc disease (rupture or inflammation) or even brain lesions (those are less likely for Deacon though).

Now given that he was comfortable with manipulation, we do need to tread with care as that may mean he has put on a brave face but could mean the spine is involved. Therefore, if he were my patient, I'd be keen for him to be seen at this point. We'd want his vet doing an orthopaedic and neurological examination for the above. Depending on their findings, we may just need them to put him onto a short course of kitty safe anti-inflammatories (as ours are toxic for cats) but if there is any worry of his spine or brain after he is checked then we may need him referred to a veterinary neurologist to look into those other worries (though hopefully not the case for him)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian