Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Fairly fit 8-9 year female tabby has always had rich very…

Customer Question
Fairly fit 8-9 year...

Fairly fit 8-9 year female tabby has always had rich very very soft

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the tabby?

Seems to be thinning only in front of each hind leg. I thought it might be from movement of walking. She’s inside only, no meds, no fleas no flea medicines... we have a fat black male a month older with no such problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

It’s on both sides... thinner fur you can see the skin ... perhaps the outer (guard?) hair ... no wounds )

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the tabby's name?

Tabi!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tabi?

Nope only one trip to vet when she limped for worn knee or bone spur 3 years ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
11/25/2017
Cat Vet: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Do you see her grooming more than normal, nursing on these areas or the other cat grooming her religiously?

No, No changes in behavior no change in diet same old Max Cat cat food for several years. change of weather to “winter” in Southern California has actually been warm. Her coat everywhere else is nice... But subjectively I dont think it’s as is luxurious as it has been a few months ago. Her playmate is a fat black male about a month older than she is - both neutered (and he doesn’t play really well actually) - But his fur seems unchanged
With the photos that enough, or shall I try them closer.? Does location on both sides in front of my legs have any significance do you ?
Sorry: typo “Were the Photos close up enough?”
My wife is their human mother: is been out of country for 3 months now. Do cats get depressed?

They can become depressed, but typically we see more than physical changes such as change in appetite, refusal to play, vomiting, diarrhea, sleeping in odd locations, etc. When was the last time she had bloodwork and a urinalysis performed?

Full physical 12 months ago in Nov 2016.
Guess time for check up. The symptoms don’t seem familiar to you?
Well that means it’s not a common issue I guess: Thank you.

No, this is not common. Typically fur loss in a specific area suggests that there may be external parasites, pain in the area causing repeated grooming, thyroid disorder, etc.

I would plan for a checkup with your vet to examine these areas. They may wish to take a small sample of fur from the area and skin scraping to ensure no mites are present and determine if the fur is being groomed out or falling out (we can analyze the fur for trauma under a microscope). Your vet may also recommend bloodwork including a thyroid panel, urinalysis and also x-rays. Treatment, if needed, can begin following the diagnosis. To help with the quality of her coat, you may wish to start her on fish oil daily with her food.

Checking in. How is Tabi feeling today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy