Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Our 9 year old at started limping and not putting weight on…

Customer Question
Our 9 year old...

Our 9 year old at started limping and not putting weight on front R paw. Mild swelling is noted close to the his body .we gave 25 mg of Tramadol and now dilated pupils , some drooling and shallow breathing. Suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?

No none injury.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Morris

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
11/25/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 7 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry Morris is limping.

Even though you didn't see him sustain an injury, he might have fallen from a height and landed awkwardly, straining, spraining or even causing a hairline fracture to this leg or hip.

For the moment, apply cool compresses to the swollen area to try to diminish the swelling, if he'll allow you to keep it on for at least 10 minutes. If it hurts him, don't aggravate him, further.

Since your description of his condition may include an injury or some fluid build-up in the area, it should be evaluated in person by a vet or ER vet, as soon as possible, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment. Some imaging, like an x-ray, may be needed. In addition, in possible reaction to the Tramadol, the drooling, dilated pupils and shallow breathing need to be assessed right away. Don't give any more Tramadol without your vet's advice.

I hope all will be well with Morris's leg and please let me know how he's coming along and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your Morris. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Cher