Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is very lethargic and not interested in dinner. This…

Customer Question
My cat is very...

My cat is very lethargic and not interested in dinner. This has just come about this evening.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

AJ. He's about 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Aj

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aj?

No nothing. He's normally happy and healthy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
11/24/2017
Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and AJ today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is he an indoor only cat or is he allowed outdoors as well?

Can you count how many breaths he takes in a minute while he is resting?

Is he using the litter box normally today?

He is allowed outdoors but has not been out today.About 30 breaths a minute - normal for him.He's used the litter box today

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Cats are so good at hiding their illness, that often by the time they let us know something is wrong, they can be sicker than they appear. This is especially true for cats that are let out unsupervised as we have no way of know what the may have been exposed to or come in contact with.

In most cases, if they didn't seem in distress, and they just started refusing to eat, I would advise monitoring for 12 hours to see if things improve. In his case, it may be prudent to not wait that long and at least have him examined by a veterinarian, even if that means seeking ER services. There are many causes for anorexia and some are more serious than others. Metabolic disorders, such as kidney or liver disease can be a cause as can GI diseases like inflammatory bowel disease or pancreatitis. After an exam, your vet will be better able to know if further testing is indicated and be able to offer symptomatic treatment.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z