Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat is 12 years old and has had IBD for 5 years. Last…

Customer Question
My cat is 12 years...
My cat is 12 years old and has had IBD for 5 years. Last night and this morning, she is having green diarrhea.....no blood.....about every 4 hours. We live in a very rural area. Our vet is not open again until Monday. The nearest emergency vet is 70 miles away. Is it safe to give her some liquid Immodium to slow the rapid transit until we can get to the vet on Monday? She is eating and drinking and acting normally except for the runs. She is on no other meds at this time. If it is safe, what would be the dosage? She weighs 7lbs 3 oz.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat
11/24/2017
Cat Vet: petdrz, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Abbie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Immodium is not recommended for use in cats due to the potential for adverse effects including excitation of the central nervous system. Your best course of action to decrease the frequency of diarrhea would be to fast her. Since she is an adult catt, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z