Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

How to keep kittens away from computers and cables?

1. The cables are easy. Get a hold of a product called " Bitter Apple Spray ". As the name suggests, this is very bitter to cats and once they lick an object coated with it the chances are they will leave it alone in the future. Just spray it on all the cables you want to protect. It is colourless and odourless to humans by the way and should not degrade the cables.

2. As far as the laptop goes I would not spray it on the actual screen, but if you apply it to the back it could keep the kittens away.

3. You can pick up Bitter Apple Spray at better pets stores, over the counter at your vet or online via the likes of Amazon.

Read full interaction below »

How can I get my 15 week old kittens away from my computers? They chewed off a couple of very expensive cables, and just bit my Mac book screen and cracked it. They are costing me a lot of money and interrupting my work. It is getting very inconvenient. Is there a permanent solution to end this?

11/23/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Kittens are so curious. However, I know this can be a nuisance. I have worked out an answer for you below.

But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

I have this spray, is it the same thing?

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/cleaning-and-repellents/repellants/whisker-city-no-chew-cat-deterrent-spray-13581.html

Actually to be fair, although it is not the same as the one I usually suggest, it probably works in the same sort of way. But for all the cost, I would give a straight forward bitter apple formulation one a try and see if it works better.

Ok thanks I will try the bitter apple

Please let me know how you get on with it.

This is the only one I can find: http://a.co/hLSXjnS .. is it good?

Worth a try.