Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

She’s been acting very strange for the last few hours since

I came home. She’s usually...
She’s been acting very strange for the last few hours since I came home. She’s usually very playful and active but is a liking low to the ground and is hiding under the bed. She’s barely touched her nighttime meal and is drooling excessively. She drools when sleepy at times but I’m worried it could be due to something else. She was also making strange meows. She’s usually chirpy but is doing a lower, guttural sound.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She’s five years old. Never had any issues before other than that she is scared of strangers. Nobody but myself and my fiancé have been in the house today.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/23/2017
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello again, and thanks for your patience. I'm so sorry you did not receive an earlier answer. I recently signed on, was notified of your question and wanted to help.

I'm sorry your cat is not acting like herself.

Is she spayed? If she is not spayed, she may be going into heat or she may have a serious uterine infection called pyometra. If she is spayed, we don't have to worry about this.

Is she eating, drinking and eliminating as usual?

While you were out or even if you were home, she may have experienced a frightening or frustrating experience and that is causing the odd behavior you are observing. She may have fallen from a height and hurt herself and that's why she's walking low to the ground and making that guttural sound, like a moan; she may be in pain, due to an injury.

If she's scared of strangers, she may have seen someone pass by the house, through the window, and/or caught a scent (maybe of another cat or a dog) and became frightened.

For the moment, you can purchase a Feliway plug-in diffuser and this will help diminish her stress. Here is more information:

https://www.feliway.com/us

-----------------

If her symptoms continue, she would need to be seen by a vet or ER vet, to get a definite diagnosis, after an in-person examination, and if needed, she will be prescribed medication, even if it's to calm her down, if the vet finds nothing physically wrong. A routine blood test, urinalysis and fecal analysis may be performed to determine the cause of the problem.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
she is spayed. She has used the litter box in the last hour. She’s still drooling excessively and has gone to her food bowl a few times but only taken a few bites each of her wet and dry food. I also changed her water and she has not drunk any as of yet. She is still hiding under the bed but comes on the bed where she is kneading like crazy. I’ve called the emergency vet and will monitor her for the next few hours. If she declines I’m going to take her in right away.

Hi again, and thanks for your very helpful reply.

I'm glad she's spayed, so we don't have to worry about pyometra.

Here excessive drooling may be caused by nausea (especially if she doesn't want to eat much or drink), an oral/dental problem, like an abscessed tooth or infected gums or sores in her mouth. If you're able to look inside her mouth, check that her gums are light pink, as they should be (unless they're normally black, due to her coloring) and if they're very pale, almost white, this IS an emergency. Try to see if she has any sores on or under her tongue or anything wrapped around it or something stuck between teeth or cheek and gum.

If she should be nauseated, you can give her 1/4 of a 10mg. Pepcid AC (generic: Famotidine), every 12 hours. This is found in any pharmacy, supermarket and Walmart, Target, etc. This acid controller might help settle her stomach. Here is more information:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/famotidine-pepcid-for-dogs-and-cats/

------

Kneading, like purring, can be a self-soothing mechanism, if she's not feeling well or suffered an injury.

I'm glad you called the ER vet and your plan is great: monitor her for the next few hours and if she worsens, you'll bring her in immediately, for an in-person examination.

I hope all will be well and please keep me posted.

If you found my answer helpful, please rate it positively so the website provides me credit for assisting you. Thanks!

Happy Holidays!

Cher

Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Thank you very much for your great rating; it is highly appreciated!

Happy Holidays!

Cher
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist