Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Cat

I have two kittens from the same litter, both males. 15

weeks old. One of them...
I have two kittens from the same litter, both males. 15 weeks old. One of them is thinner than his brother even though he eats more. He weighs 1kg and his brother is 1.5kg. He also feels very bony/skinny.- Is it normal for kittens to grow at different rates?
- At what point should I be concerned about health issues?
- Is there anything I could to make him grow healthier like his brother and have an appropriate weight?
11/23/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Thanks for requesting me. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question, type things up and then I will get back to you.

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well in answer to your question, it can often be the case that one young kitten is bigger than another in the same litter, sometimes there is a " runt " in the litter. Some kittens catch up a bit as they get older, others stay smaller. But this in itself is not really a concern health wise as long as the kitten is happy and otherwise appears normal ...

2. " At what point should I be concerned about health issues? " : Well one of the common causes of this sort of situation { skinny } would be intestinal worms. Provided the thin kitten is not showing any other symptoms then you would be taking very little risk in worming both kittens and then observing the thin one for a couple of weeks to see if this makes a difference. You can pick up worm tablets over the counter from your vet or at better pet stores. If this does not do you the trick or you note any deterioration then this would be a concern and you should have the kitten checked over by your vet at that point.

3. " Is there anything I could to make him grow healthier like his brother and have an appropriate weight? " : Other than the above points then just feed him a high quality commercial kitten food plus vet care as needed.

But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thanks Dr ScottThe kitten seems happy most of the time, and they've got two rounds of worm tablets already. I think the vet will prescribe a third round after their 3rd set of vaccines.Are there any specific symptoms to watch out for in the future that might imply some sort of illness, worms, or nutrient deficiency?

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Well there are no specific symptoms I could predict which you should look out for, but really watch out for general things like lethargy and loss of appetite etc. ...

Thank you very much for the good rating by the way, this is very much appreciated.

I would be interested to learn how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott