Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

He is falling backwards and his leg kicks up. Then he wants…

He is falling backwards...

He is falling backwards and his leg kicks up. Then he wants to lay next to me again. Then we will start pushing and fall backwards again. The vet said he has high blood pressure and gave him meds for it he was good for a few days. But he's still having issues now about 6 days later.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Lady

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lady?

He has arthritis on his tail bone that he has pain meds for. He also had a tooth fall out. The vet said it looked clean but x-rays are needed to make sure it's okay.

11/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

I think the norvasc has started to kick in for him. He's just laying down vegged out now.

Do you happen to have a video of the episodes you're describing? Has your vet performed bloodwork on Lady? Has a cardiac workup been performed by a cardiologist?

My wife has a video, asking her to send it to me. The vet ran blood work and said his organs are healthy as can be. I am not sure if any cardiac work was done. I was out of town when this happened and my wife took him in.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

https://youtu.be/RrbvG_ishhU
This is him falling backwards while trying to stand up right on the bed.

Did these episodes occur before starting the norvasc?

No, he did get full of drool from breathing heavy one night. But after giving him metacam he seemed to have been fine (for a few months before it happened again this past week).
Sorry yes this video is before to novasc. It's what sparked taking him to the vet the next morning and getting the meds from them. Last night he was doing the same thing but not as bad. Which is after the norvasc meds.

I do think this is worthy of at least discussing with your vet. If he has not had bloodwork to check for conditions like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism and such, this needs to be done. Hypertension can also be caused by heart issues which can cause episodes similar to what you're seeing. In addition to the bloodwork, I think chest x-rays would be wise and if any abnormalities are seen a referral then made to a cardiologist for cardiac diagnostics to ensure these are not syncopal in nature. If the episodes are not caused by the blood pressure alone, this is likely why you continue to see symptoms in spite of giving medication. More diagnostics may be needed to reveal the true cause of why these episodes are occurring.

Well I have an appointment today with a new vet. The last one seemed like he didn't believe my wife until she showed him this video among other things. He also had a tooth fall out a while back. The vet said it healed good but there might be issues under the gums that we can't see.

Excellent. Keep me posted on your progress. I would discuss the diagnostics mentioned herein if they've not already been performed. Your new vet may be able to give you a definitive today during your examination on why this is happening.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
One more thing to note I guess for record. He has not lost his appetite. He eats like he normally does still. Even right now after this morning he's eating fine.