Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

My cat has dark spots on her fur on her hind legs, around…

My cat has dark...

My cat has dark spots on her fur on her hind legs, around her ankle. Exactly the same spot. And her hind claws are red at the base

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Macie and 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Macie?

She has bad teeth that need special cleaning

11/21/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is she licking or chewing at her ankles and claws often?

Any hair loss?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the areas and post it or attach it to your next message?

Thanks for the information. If she is licking and chewing in those areas, my first thought is that she has an allergy. It could be something in the environment or food. Now, around the ankles, you can see skin mite issues often. You may seen similar problems around the elbows and ears, but you may not. If there is no hair loss, I would put mites lower on the list. The paws can easily be affected by an allergy as well. Plus they can get infections at the base of the nail. I would have your vet check this out to make sure it isn't a mite issue (also less likely if she is indoor only). They may need to give her something for allergies and possible antibiotics if there is a nail bed infection. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John