Cat

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

I have a mommy cat and 3 babies (guessing around 7-10 days…

Customer Question
I have a mommy cat...
I have a mommy cat and 3 babies (guessing around 7-10 days old) that came to my home today. I am their foster mom so i have extremely limited info. I noticed mommy shaking this evening while the babies were nursing. I've never seen this and want to know what I am possibly seeing? Vet visit?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat
11/21/2017
Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 8 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello again, Nicole.

The mom may be shaking because she's stressed to be in a new environment and having given birth so recently. Because she's nursing, she may have eclampsia which leads to hypocalcemia, low blood calcium, because the babies are taking calcium from her, through her milk and her body can't make more, fast enough.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2139&aid=904

-----------

Watch to see that she's eating well, and drinking enough. Cats love drinking from a moving water source, so, perhaps you can get her a cat drinking fountain, but this would have to be put outside the dog crate, so when the kittens start walking better, they can't fall in.

Yes, I would definitely have her and the babies evaluated by a vet, in person, to find out what's causing the shaking and have her treated, if needed. I would bring her to an ER vet center, now, as if she has this condition, it needs to be treated right away. Also, if she has a fever due to infection, this can also cause shaking, so you'd want to know, asap what the problem is and have her prescribed treatment.

I hope all will be well with your new furry additions!

Your satisfaction is my ultimate goal and I welcome any follow-up questions you may have on this subject, at no additional charge.

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition by the website for my assistance.

Best wishes,

Cher

Cat Vet: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 7 months ago

Hi again, Nicole.

I'm just checking in to see how your mom-cat and babies are coming along. Were you able to bring the mom and her kittens to the vet to find out why she was shaking, while nursing?

Please let me know, as I'm concerned for her.

Thank you,

Cher